Back-to-school safety tips
System - Friday, September 7, 2012
According to Safe Kids USA, an estimated 2.2 million children ages 14 and under are injured in school-related accidents each year. Here are some tips to help keep your children safe as they start a new year.
- Teach your child your phone number and home address.
- Designate a trusted relative, friend or neighbor to pick your child up from school in case of an emergency and confirm your selection with your child.
- Be sure your child walks to and from school with a buddy.
- Teach your child to obey all traffic signals and be extra careful in inclement weather.
- If your child bikes to school make sure a helmet is worn.
- Tell your child not to bend down in front of the bus (to tie his/her shoes etc) because the driver may not see him.
- Avoid any drawstrings on the hood or around the neck of jackets prevent catching in car and school bus doors or getting caught on playground equipment.
- Inform teachers of any severe allergy and what to do in case your child needs medical assistance.