Tips for planning your summer travel on a budget
System - Saturday, August 11, 2012
Plan that summer vacation without breaking the bank with these travel tips.
- Research. Compare hotel and flight prices, call and ask about any unlisted discounts.
- Be flexible. The most expensive days to fly are Mondays and Fridays. Plan your trip on the off days, and consider connecting flights instead of direct, or early flights.
- Brave the elements. Campgrounds are inexpensive and because you often cook your own food, it doubles your savings.
- Breakfast included. Make sure breakfast is included in the hotel rate.
- Eat in. Cook dinner or have a picnic. When you do eat out, lunch is less expensive than dinner and drink water instead of soft drinks or liquor.
- Use plastic. Avoid ATM fees by selecting cash back when making debit purchases.
- Save at the pump. Utilize phone apps that list gas prices in the area.
- Matinees. Hit up the movies during the day for cheaper admission.
- Museums and parks. Often museums offer free admission.
- Coupons. Scan the Internet for discounts on attractions in and around your destination.